Signs of Metal Shavings in Your Porsche’s Oil
- August 26, 2020
- Porsche Repair
- Posted by Frank Dischinger
- Comments Off on Signs of Metal Shavings in Your Porsche’s Oil
Porsche vehicles are at the top of their class in performance and style. To ensure that your Porsche remains in peak condition, it has to be properly serviced on a regular basis. This includes having the oil and oil filter changed. If this is not taken care of, metal shavings can end up in the oil. These metal shavings have the ability to damage other parts under the hood so it is important to know how to identify the signs.
How Metal Shavings get in the Oil
Oil runs through your Porsche as blood runs through our veins. In order to properly function, the oil needs to have a constant presence. This is why the oil and the oil filter are the most frequently changed parts of your entire vehicle.
For all the parts of your Porsche to remain at their optimal function, they need to be lubricated. This is the job of oil. The oil comes into contact with numerous parts of your Porsche. As it does this, the oil picks up any tiny metal shavings that have fallen off the parts. These metal shavings are then filtered out of the oil through the oil filter. This way, the oil can be pure as it continues throughout the system.
If the oil and the oil filter are not changed as recommended, the metal shavings will remain in the oil. This can be damaging to all of the parts that the oil contacts. If left to circulate with the oil, the metal shavings will speed up the wear and tear process of every part it touches.
Signs of Metal Shavings in the Oil
The best way to prevent the metal shavings from causing damage is to know the signs that suggest they are in the oil.
- Rough Idling: One sign to be aware of is rough idling. The rough idle comes from a lack of oil being circulated through the engine. Without proper lubrication, the gears will grind unnaturally against each other. This grinding will then cause metal shavings to end up in the oil once the oil does make its way back around to lubricate the parts.
- Loss of Power: Another sign that will indicate metal shavings in the oil is a reduction in power. You will see this issue as you are attempting to accelerate onto a highway and the correct amount of power is not being supplied.
- The engine cannot produce the necessary power if contaminated oil is circulating. Oil becomes contaminated when metal shavings enter the oil with no chance of being filtered out. The oil will take a lot longer to reach its destinations so the proper power will not be supplied, causing the engine to run with reduced power.
- Oil Light Illumination: One last sign that will let you know there are metal shavings in the oil is the oil change light becoming illuminated. Most Porsches have an oil change light that illuminates when the oil has become extremely contaminated. Though, it is best to not wait until this light comes on to get an oil change because, by this time, the contaminated oil will have already done some damage. When the light comes on the oil will have countless metal shavings in it and damaging effects to other parts have already begun to occur.
Get your Porsche Inspected
Preventing metal shavings in your Porsche’s oil can be relatively easy. All that is required is ensuring the oil and the oil filter are changed at the mileage that is recommended by the manufacturer.
Although this seems simple enough, there are times that metal shavings can end up in the oil even when you are on top of the oil changes. If you begin to notice any of the above signs, it is time to bring your Porsche into your trusted technician here at Glenwood Foreign Car.
We are easily accessible from the areas of Upper Makefield Township, Yardley, Newton, and Morrisville, PA. Our technicians are trained with dealership-quality knowledge and will use dealership-quality parts and service on your Porsche without you having to pay dealership prices.
We always ensure that our customers and their vehicles are quickly and effectively taken care of by pinpointing the exact issue and then wasting no time to get it fixed. You can trust that the metal shavings in your Porsche will be removed by professionals every time. Call us today for an appointment.