Top Reasons Behind Thermostat Failure in Mercedes From Certified Mechanics in Yardley
- March 16, 2021
- Mercedes Repair
- Posted by Frank Dischinger
- Comments Off on Top Reasons Behind Thermostat Failure in Mercedes From Certified Mechanics in Yardley
There are a number of parts that can have problems emerge under the hood of your car, and with cars as powerful as Mercedes, this can be a worrisome experience. Rest assured that most problems that occur can be solved with a quick trip to an auto shop. Always trust a professional to fix your vehicle as some issues can be finicky and most require technical expertise.
With that in mind, any problems that emerge with the thermostat of your vehicle can be serious and should be looked at right away. This part is not what controls the air conditioning in your car, as some believe, and serves a more crucial role in keeping your car secured and reliable as a safe vehicle.
What does the thermostat do?
Rather than powering the air conditioning, a car thermostat actually keeps the engine cool. At any given time while driving, there are countless miniature explosions occurring under the hood that can drastically heat up your engine. When this occurs, your engine needs something to cool it down so that it does not overheat, which could damage more parts.
Your Mercedes thermostat is responsible for regulating this temperature. Most modern cars need to sit between 195 and 220 degrees Fahrenheit, which is what the thermostat aims to keep the engine around. If the engine seems to be fluctuating, the thermostat will kick in to help the process of cooling it down.
In short, the thermostat acts as a valve that either blocks or allows coolant into the engine. If the temperature under the hood is getting too hot, the thermostat will open the valve and allow coolant to rush through the engine. This coolant absorbs the heat from the engine and transfers it to the radiator, where that same coolant is then cooled off by an influx of air from the grill of the car.
Should the thermostat not have needed to send coolant through and the engine was too cold, it can run through the system again to absorb more heat. Therefore, the thermostat of your Mercedes is crucial to your engine performance and the car’s overall functions.
If you notice any signs that the thermostat is having problems, it’s best to get your car looked at right away so that the issue can be solved. Do not try to drive far amounts with a faulty thermostat as an overheating engine can be dangerous to both your car and any passengers, not to mention yourself.
Signs of a Failing Thermostat
As mentioned, given that the thermostat’s primary purpose is to cool down your vehicle’s engine, most signs of a failing thermostat will involve heat. First and foremost, most modern cars have temperature gauges on the dash that let you see if your engine’s heat is where it should be. If you start seeing the erratic movement of this dial, consider the fact that the thermostat may have failed.
- Engine Overheating: Naturally, if you see any steam or smoke rising from the hood of your car, something is too hot. In most instances, the coolant either wasn’t doing its job or wasn’t getting to the engine when needed. If the latter is the case, the cause could be the thermostat not sending the coolant through.
- Coolant Leaks: If there is a buildup of coolant from not being allowed through, the thermostat may be the culprit. Alternatively, if coolant has to sit where it shouldn’t be for too long, leaks may occur. Check if there is any green substance underneath your car and take action if so.
- Erratic Readings: As discussed, the temperature gauge on your dash will tell you if the engine is getting too hot. If you see any erratic readings or if the gauge is fluctuating a lot, consider going to the shop immediately.
Glenwood Foreign Car For Your Mercedes Needs
At Glenwood Foreign Car, we understand the importance of keeping your Mercedes at its peak performance level. We have experience working with clients around Upper Makefield Township, Yardley, Newtown, and Morrisville, PA, and can give you unrivaled service.
Your satisfaction is our guarantee and we make it our mission to fix your vehicle’s problems successfully and in a timely manner. Please feel free to give us a call to schedule an appointment today. Alternatively, you’re welcome to come to visit us yourself and see why we are the best name in the business. We look forward to earning your trust and patronage.