Signs that Your Jaguar has a Coolant Leak From the Professed Car-Geeks In Morrisville
- June 7, 2021
- Jaguar Repair
- Posted by Glenn Wood
- Comments Off on Signs that Your Jaguar has a Coolant Leak From the Professed Car-Geeks In Morrisville
A problem that can occur with Jaguars is a coolant leak. Usually coming from your car’s undercarriage, coolant leaks should never be ignored. This type of leak indicates a major problem in your engine and should be addressed quickly to avoid overheating and potential engine damage.
Also known as antifreeze, coolant is typically brightly colored, usually green or pink, and has an almost sweet aroma. Along with a few additives, coolant is basically glycol-based with additives and distilled water. Its main function is to cool down your Jaguar’s engine. It does this by absorbing the heat that circulated through the engine system, whereafter it passes through the radiator, where it is cooled off so it can repeat the process.
Coolant Leak Problem
When first noticing a leak, you should initially try to figure out if your car is leaking coolant or if it’s a different liquid or substance. As with any car, your Jaguar features many liquids that could be leaking.
To find out what substance is leaking, you can place a piece of paper under your car and let it sit there for a few hours. You can then take a look at what leaked, paying special attention to its smell and color. This will help you discern whether it is coolant leaking or something else like gas or oil.
Reasons for a Coolant Leak
After discovering that coolant is leaking from your Jaguar, you can next try to figure out the cause of the leak. There are two primary reasons that coolant leaks happen:
- Radiator Issues: Holes or cracks in the radiator can often cause leaks, as they allow the coolant to seep out of the radiator system. The radiator itself is a highly important aspect of the coolant system, since the hot coolant that has circulated from the engine cools itself down inside the radiator before it recirculates. The radiator also plays an important role in the pressure maintenance in the engine. Additionally, the coolant’s temperature will not stay consistent the way it should without the radiator. This could result in overheating. Even the smallest of bumps or cracks in the radiator can cause serious problems.
- Head Gasket Problems: Most typically, coolant leaks are caused by faulty or failing head gaskets. The head gasket’s function is to make the coolant system a closed circuit, leveling the pressure and stopping coolant from going where it shouldn’t. With a damaged or defective head gasket, the coolant could escape the system, entering places like the cylinders or crankcase, where it can mix with engine oil. In turn, this can often cause damage to the engine itself. If the coolant reaches spark plugs, it will burn and emit white smoke coming from the exhaus The head gasket can malfunction for many reasons, but it is commonly because of consistent overheating of the engine.
Though these issues can be difficult to find, a trained mechanic should have no problem diagnosing and fixing your coolant leak’s cause. That’s where we come in.
Glenwood Foreign Car for Your Jaguar
Glenwood Foregin Car in Yardley, Pennsylvania is a premier foreign car repair shop ready to help your Jaguar get back to its best shape. Located off of Woolston Drive, Glenwood Foreign Car services the entire Yardley area including Upper Makefield Township, Newtown, and Morrisville, PA.
We take pride in hiring the best-trained mechanics for the job and guarantee that we can diagnose and repair your Jaguar’s problem quickly and more cost-effectively than the dealership. Here you’ll find the most comprehensive services and repairs on the market, with quality customer service to match.
In addition to repairing either the radiator or the head gasket that is causing your coolant leak, Glenwood Foreign Car offers the following services for your prized Jaguar:
- Brake repairs
- Check engine light diagnosis
- Electrical system services
- Engine repairs and rebuilding
- Transmission maintenance
If you find your car leaking a sweet-smelling, colorful liquid, then you have a major problem on your hands. Ensure that your Jaguar won’t develop any more serious problems due to a coolant leak by taking your vehicle in to Glenwood Foreign Car today.