When to Replace the EGR Valve in Your Audi From Expert Mechanics in Yardley
- August 26, 2021
- Audi Repair
- Posted by Glenn Wood
- Comments Off on When to Replace the EGR Valve in Your Audi From Expert Mechanics in Yardley
Ensuring all the parts in your car are up to date and properly maintained is imperative for innovative and versatile vehicles such as Audi. One of the more important parts is the EGR valve, or exhaust gas recirculation valve. This component puts small amounts of exhaust back in your vehicle’s combustion chamber to lower temperatures and reduce smog production.
Small parts such as the EGR valve are often incredibly important to the overall performance of your vehicle’s engine. Neglecting to service this part can have detrimental effects to your Audi in the long term.
Warning Signs that your EGR Valve needs to be Replaced
Fortunately for Audi owners, there are some common signs that point to the need to have your EGR valve serviced. Should you notice any of the below warning signals, it’s important that you take your Audi in as soon as possible.
Not replacing an EGR valve when necessary can have detrimental effects on the high-performance of your Audi. A clogged or malfunctioning EGR valve can disrupt the proper air/fuel ratio and lead to engine issues, potentially even stalling. Below are some of the most common warning signs that you should watch out for:
- Check Engine Light: Seeing the “check engine light” notification on your dash can be a worrisome experience for any vehicle owner. Just remember that this is your Audi’s computer alerting you to something not working properly. The computer can sense the circuits in the EGR valve and will alert you if the valve is not functioning as it should. Keep in mind that the “check engine light” can go on for a number of reasons. If, however, the light goes on in conjunction with some of the below signs, it is likely time to take your Audi to the shop.
- Reduced Engine Power: A concerning sign in a dynamic and performance-based car is reduced power. As the driver of your Audi, you know your car best. If there seems to be less responsiveness than normal, pay attention to your fuel. A key signal of a bad EGR valve, due to the disrupted air/fuel ratio, is a sudden and sharp decrease in fuel efficiency with respect to distance driven.
- Rough Idle or Hesitation to Accelerate: After learning how responsive and trustworthy your Audi performs, any idling problems or lack of acceleration should stick out like a sore thumb. When an EGR valve gets stuck open, the excess exhaust may cause your vehicle to idle in a rough fashion.
- Knocking or Pinging Sound: Out of all the warning signs, this may be the most disconcerting for an Audi owner. What you would hear is something known as a Spark Knock, which is simply the fuel detonating. However, if an audible pinging or knocking sound occurs when the temperature gets too hot in the combustion chamber, you can count this as a symptom of a stuck EGR valve.
Now that you are aware of the common warning signs for a faulty EGR valve and know when it should be replaced, the next step is where to go. An EGR valve can be a tricky piece of equipment to replace, and replying on a professional service is the smartest route. In Yardley and the surrounding area, there are a number of shops that could perform the job, but the most trustworthy service for your Audi is Glenwood Foreign Car.
Glenwood Foreign Car for the Maintenance of Your Audi
Our professional auto-mechanics at Glenwood Foreign Car have proudly been serving clients in the region of Upper Makefield Township, Yardley, Newtown, and Morrisville, PA since 1977. We are specialists in maintenancing foreign cars and have experience with over six different brands.
Our extensive knowledge and experience can ensure that your EGR valve gets fixed properly and lasts as long as it should. We are a Bosch Certified Service Center which can help assure you that we only use quality parts, and your vehicle will always receive top-notch service.
We hold a policy that customers come first to ensure your satisfaction when working on your foreign car. Feel free to give us a call to schedule an appointment or come visit us at our location. We look forward to earning your patronage.