How to Deal with Transmission Failure in a Land Rover
- July 26, 2022
- Land Rover Repair
- Posted by Glenn Wood
- Comments Off on How to Deal with Transmission Failure in a Land Rover
Land Rover is known for its incredible four-wheel drive and off-road capabilities. However, your vehicle is useless without the transmission distributing engine power to the wheels. While the transmission can run well over 200,000 miles, some habits could help accelerate its wear, causing premature failure.
Besides transmitting engine power to the wheels for motion, the transmission also regulates your vehicle speed to utilize the engine power efficiently. It performs this function using a series of components, and the breakdown of any of these components will cause its failure. These failures are often triggered by poor maintenance, clogged transmission filter, or low transmission fluid in the system.
Depending on the severity of the damage, the repair could cost a fortune. The only way to prevent this is by good maintenance culture and knowing the warning signs to look out for.
The Usual Causes of Transmission Failure
There are a variety of reasons that can lead to transmission failure. Some of these reasons include:
- Leaking or low transmission fluid: The transmission fluid is the lifeblood of your Land Rover transmission. It lubricates all moving parts and allows the transmission to function efficiently. The absence of this fluid due to a leak can lead to the transmission overheating, difficulty shifting through gears, gear slipping, or total failure of the transmission.
- Clogged Transmission Filter: Transmission failure can also result from clogged transmission filters. The filter is designed to clean the fluid as it passes through. On the contrary, a clogged filter restricts the flow of this fluid, thereby hindering the adequate lubrication of the transmission.
- Worn Gears: The gears inside your transmission help regulate the vehicle’s speed and torque. The gear shift should be smooth and effortless. However, an issue with the gear will affect how your transmission shifts between gears, and you may begin to notice unusual noises such as clunking or grinding
- Solenoid Issues: The solenoids in your Land Rover are vital to the operation of an automatic transmission. They are valves that control the flow of transmission fluid within the transmission system, which opens or closes depending on the electrical signals they receive. An issue with the solenoids can cause the breakdown of your transmission.
Symptoms of Transmission Failure
- Burning Smell: This is the most evident symptom of low or worn transmission fluid. Running on low fluid prevents the transmission from having adequate lubrication. On the flip side, worn transmission fluid cannot effectively lubricate the transmission. Consequently, a worn or low fluid will cause the transmission to overheat.
- Check Engine Light: Although this symptom is not always as common as other issues directly related to the engine, a faulty transmission can also trigger the check engine light. Any problem with the transmission, in turn, affects your vehicle’s overall performance, leading to the activation of the check engine warning.
- Leaking Transmission Fluid: This is the most apparent symptom of an issue with the transmission. It usually results from a leak from the vehicle transmission, which allows the fluid to seep out of the system. You may notice a pool of sweet-smelling fluid under your vehicle after parking for a while.
- Slipping gears: Slipping gears occur when your vehicle slips into gears that don’t correspond to its current speed. One of the signs you may notice is that your Land Rover might suddenly switch gear as you drive. Ignoring or attempting to manage this symptom on your own could lead to loss of control or, worse, an accident.
Whenever you notice any of the above symptoms, it is best to contact a Land Rover specialist before your transmission fails.
Have Your Transmission Checked at Glenwood Foreign Car
At Glenwood Foreign Car, we understand the frustration and dangers of transmission slipping and other transmission problems. Thus, we are dedicated to providing quality and professional auto repair services.
Glenwood Foreign Car provides unparalleled maintenance and repairs for all European vehicles, including Audi, Jaguar, Mini, Smart, BMW, Land Rover, Porsche, Volkswagen, Fiat, Mercedes Benz, Saab, and Volvo.
We are located in Morrisville, PA and welcome drivers across Upper Makefield Township, Yardley, and Newtown. Please call or visit our shop for all your auto, body works, or detailing services. We look forward to winning your repeat business!