When to Replace the Spark Plugs in Your Mini
- November 1, 2022
- MINI Repair
- Posted by Frank Dischinger
- Comments Off on When to Replace the Spark Plugs in Your Mini
Being the proud owner of a Mini is a pleasant experience in itself, as it provides dependability and makes driving more enjoyable. Apart from all the top-notch features, Mini owners may face issues such as poor vehicle performance which happens due to faulty spark plugs.
Spark plugs are an essential component of your vehicle ensuring it runs efficiently. These are electrical devices with one end that absorbs electricity and the other end that emits a spark. This spark enables your car to drive by igniting the fuel that allows your engine to run.
The spark plugs continue to ignite and spark as you drive along the smooth road. The condition of your spark plugs has a direct impact on the quality of your driving. Damaged spark plugs can cause an engine misfire, necessitating a halt because driving a car in this situation could harm your engine even more. If this happens, don’t panic. Pay a visit to a trusted car mechanic and get those faulty spark plugs replaced quickly.
When to Replace the Spark Plugs of Your Mini
Since most Minis come with factory-installed spark plugs, they tend to last longer than standard plugs. These spark plugs are capable of working flawlessly for 100,000 kilometres. They begin to wear off after covering their predicted mileage, resulting in a progressive widening of the gap between the leads. That’s when you’ll realise your car isn’t running as well as it should, and you might even have a misfire, putting you in hot water.
It’s at this stage that you’ll have to replace your spark plugs. If you overlook the problem, the spark plugs will eventually fail completely. This will eventually cause damage to the interior of your engine cylinders, resulting in a burn in your pocket due to the high cost of restoration. It’s a good idea to look up how long your spark plugs will last in your Mini owner’s manual and replace them before they reach the specified mileage.
Symptoms of Faulty Spark Plugs in Your Mini
Even if the problem is slight, your car will not function as well as it once did. Similarly, you may notice various signs if your spark plugs aren’t performing properly or are deteriorating.
- The Check Engine Light is On: This is one of the most obvious signs of a malfunctioned spark plug. Your Mini’s computer will detect a misfire and transmit a message to the dashboard in the form of an illuminated check engine light. Ignoring this initial sign would even cause your car more harm than good.
- Starting Issues: Your Mini’s smooth operation is dependent on the condition of the spark plugs. If in a bad condition, they won’t spark and ultimately your engine won’t be ignited. Because of this, you’ll face starting issues as your car will not budge an inch.
Most Common Causes of Spark Plug Failure
Your spark plug failure could be caused by a number of factors. We’ll take a look at a few of the most prevalent ones below:
- Inappropriate Spark Plug Gaps: The gap between the spark plug ends must be precise to perform the ignition process. If not, they will be subjected to additional stress, which will cause them to corrode and fail over time.
- Overheating: The spark plugs can also become ruined over time because they are frequently overheated due to their proximity to the engine. Spark plugs are an inexpensive and simple replacement that is part of car ownership.
- Leaking of Oil: In older cars, dirty oil has a tendency to leak into the combustion chamber, which is a grave issue. As a result, your spark plugs may become corroded. The tainted oil will develop on the spark plugs’ tips, forcing them to fail over time.
The Perfect Place to Replace Your Mini’s Spark Plugs
Glenwood Foreign Car is the place to go if you live in Yardley, PA. If your Mini’s spark plugs need to be replaced, bring them to our service center and leave them in the hands of our trustworthy and certified technicians. You can also contact us ahead of time to schedule an appointment, or come in and let us make your day by providing outstanding services.