Why Does My Car Smell Like Gas?
- January 11, 2023
- Car Repair
- Posted by Frank Dischinger
- Comments Off on Why Does My Car Smell Like Gas?
If you smell gasoline coming from inside your car do NOT ignore it! If you can identify that this smell is coming from your vehicle, head to Glenwood Foreign Car for a fix. Gasoline vapors can be toxic and even represent a fire risk in high enough concentrations. It should be addressed ASAP!
The three most common reasons you might smell gas:
- Exhaust Leaks: If you smell gas as you drive, it could be coming from the exhaust. Unburned gasoline that comes out the tailpipe as gasoline fumes indicates that all the gas isn’t being burned up during combustion. Not only does this mean gasoline fumes are being put out into the atmosphere, it means your engine is probably making less power and using more fuel than it should. This means your engine may need some service and you should book a reservation with one of our skilled technicians to check it out here.
- Fuel Leaks: If you smell fuel coming from your car, but it’s coming from the engine compartment, rather than the exhaust, that points to a leak in the fuel system. If the seals around these injectors start to break down or a leak develops in a fuel line leading to the engine, you will begin to smell gas. If the leak is significant enough, it’s possible that you may even be able to see a puddle under the car. So, even if you smell fuel but don’t see it, you could potentially still have a dangerous fuel leak!
- Malfunctioning Fuel Tank & EVAP System: There’s one more way the smell of gasoline could enter the cabin from your car and that is if your vehicle’s gas cap isn’t sealing properly. Some modern cars today have special EVAP systems designed to recapture gasoline fumes in the fuel tank so they can be burned in the engine, rather than being released to the atmosphere. If either of these items suffer any issues then that’s is when you would typically start smelling gas.
What should you do?
If you are still asking yourself Why Does My Car Smell Like Gas? You’ll want have to have your luxury vehicle examined by one of our skilled technicians. Bring it on over to Glenwood Foreign Car at 333 Woolston Drive, Yardley, PA 19067 or call us at (215) 736-8888.
Click here to book a reservation for your luxury vehicle online today!